Save 25%, Apply coupon code 46851818FD52 during checkout
About the Author
D V Reddy :-
He is an active researcher and a consultant of international repute in the field of Geotechnology. He is currently a Professor and HOD in the Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK). An alumnus of Osmania University, Hyderabad, from where he obtained an MSc degree in 1976, MSc (Tech) Hydrogeology in 1977 and PhD in 1985, he has received intensive geological field training from Geological Survey of India, Central Groundwater Board, Hutti Gold Mines, etc. He has conducted several quality improvement programmes in engineering geology and Geotechnology, sponsored by AICTE/ISTE and supervised several project works of MTech students in this field. Dr Reddy is the editor-in-chief of International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering (IJEE) being published by the Cafet-Innova Technical Society, Hyderabad. He has also authored two books and has more than 70 research publications to his credit.
About the Book
Engineering Geology is a multidisciplinary subject that interacts with other disciplines, such as mineralogy, petrology, structural geology, hydrogeology, seismic engineering, rock engineering, soil mechanics, geophysics, remote sensing (RS-GIS-GPS) and environmental geology. This book is the only one of its kind in the Indian market that caters to the students of all these subjects.
Engineers require a deep understanding, interpretation and analyses of earth sciences before suggesting engineering designs and remedial measures to combat natural disasters, such as earthquakes, volcanoes, landslides, debris flows, tsunamis and floods. This book covers all aspects of engineering geology and is intended to serve as a reference for practising civil engineers, geotechnical engineers, marine engineers, geologists and mining engineers. Engineering Geology has also been designed as a textbook for students pursuing undergraduate and postgraduate courses in advanced/applied geology and earth sciences. A plethora of examples and case studies relevant to the Indian context have been included for better understanding of the geological challenges faced by engineers.
New in this Edition
• The concept of watershed and the depiction of watershed atlas of India
• Latest findings by the Indian Bureau of Mines
• Recent developments in coastal engineering and innovative structures
• New types of protective structures to guard against tsunamis
• Role of geology in building smart cities
• Environmental legislation in India
Table of Content
• Introduction to Geology and its Branches • Interior of the Earth • Engineering Geology • Crystallography and Mineralogy • Petrology • Structural Geology • Weathering of Rocks • Geological Work on Soils • Geological Work of Rivers • Geological Work of Oceans and Coastal Zone Management • Groundwater • Earthquakes, Seismic Hazards and Natural Disasters • Tsunamis and Coastal Zone Management • Site Investigation Techniques for Civil Engineering Projects • Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System (GIS) • Investigations for Dams and Reservoirs • Tunnels and Underground Excavations • Landslides and Mass Movement • Buildings and Smart Cities • Bridges • Stratigraphy of India: Economic and Engineering Significance • Environmental Geology and Geotechnology