Save 25%, Apply coupon code SCHAND25 during checkout
About the Book
The book helps conceptualize the idea of gender with critical perspective, while debunking the biased and unipolar perspectives prevailed in gender discourse. The book contests and encounters the discriminated practices in education and society. It enquires many questions for developing a critical perspective about gender, such as Is gender a biological construct or social construct, or social construct based on biological position? Is gender only about women or beyond? Are gender issues universal in nature or contextually embedded? Is patriarchy related to women only or it is about hegemony of power of few over others? Is matriarchy gender biased free or not? Can matriarchy be the solution of prevailed patriarchy? Is gender a social institution or personal construct? What is gender equality perspective? What is the contribution of feminist discourse and women's movement in conceptualizing gender? What are significant educational policies which incorporate gender concerns? What are school practices which perpetuate the biased gender roles? etc.
The focus of the book is to familiarise readers about gender and the associated concerns, issues, challenges and possibilities. The book helps readers to situate ideas, inquire and analyse in authentic context.
Largely, the aim of this book is to develop and provide cognitive facilitation to enable one to engage with critical, analytical, realistic and authentic thinking processes for understanding and conceptualizing gender.
UNIT I UNDERSTANDING GENDER: INDIVIDUAL TO SOCIAL
1. Gender, Sex and Sexuality
2. Matrilineal, Matriarchal and Polyandrous Societies
3. Understanding Patriarchy and Power Relations
4. Gender as Social Institution
UNIT II GENDER: AN EQUALITY PERSPECTIVE
5. Engaging with Feminist Perspectives
6. Equality Discourse and Women
7. Prejudices, Biases and Stereotypes
8. Women's Movements and Education
UNIT III EDUCATION: POLICY TO PRACTICE
9. Policy Perspective and Women's Education
10. Educational Disparities for Women
11. School and Gender: Issues, Challenges and Possibilities
UNIT IV ESCALATING POSSIBILITIES: DEVELOPING CRITICALITY
12. Socialization and Gender Identity
13. Understanding LGBT
14. Critical Analysis of Gender as ';Discourse'
15. Way to Move Ahead