Rohit Khuranais the Founder and CEO of ITL Education Solutions Limited (ITLESL) and has authored of more than thirty five best-selling textbooks. ITLESL is a part of the ITL group with operations all over the world with a significant presence in education and IT-enabled services. It specialized in handling educational projects in IT domains with a dedicated R&D wing of industry experts that helps in designing and developing content.
About the Book
The book Operating System is an insightful work that elaborates on fundamentals as well as advanced topics of the discipline. Keeping the needs of the students in mind, this book offers an in-depth coverage of concepts, design and functions of an operating system irrespective of the hardware used. With neat illustrations and examples and presentation of difficult concepts in the simplest form, the aim is to make the subject crystal clear to the students, and the book extremely student-friendly.
The book caters to undergraduate students of most Indian universities, who would find the introductory and advanced discussions highly informative and enriching. Tailored as a guide for self-paced learning the book equips budding system programmers with the right knowledge and expertise.
The topics covered include: Organization of the computer system; communication between processes; threads and multithreading models; scheduling criteria and algorithms; synchronization among cooperating processes; deadlock situation; memory management; virtual memory; I/O system; disk scheduling algorithms, disk management, swap-space management and RAID; file types, attributes and access methods; managing files, directories and disc space; security and protection in computers; UNIX and Linux operating systems; implementation of various OS concepts in Windows 2000; multiprocessor and distributed systems.
1. Operating Systems 2. Process Management 3. Threads 4. Scheduling 5. Interprocess Communication 6. Deadlock 7. Memory Management 8. Virtual Memory 9. Input/Output Management 10. Disks 11. File Systems 12. File System Implementation 13. Security 14. UNIX Operating System 15. Case Study: Linux 16. Case Study: Windows 2000 17. Introduction to Multiprocessor and Distributed Operating System
Model Test Papers
• Crystal clear explanation of concepts through solved examples
• Relevant illustrations to facilitate understanding and retention
• Case studies of Linux and Windows 2000 to put theory concepts into practice
• A crisp summary for recapitulation with each chapter
• A glossary of technical terms
• Insightful questions and model test papers to prepare for the examinations