Former Reader in economics, Shri Ram College of Commerce, University of Delhi, has authored several papers, research studies and other books, and given evidence and memoranda to various Committees and Commissions. His other publications are History of Economic Thought, International Economics, and Lok Vitt.
About the Book
The book Public Finance continues its stride of presenting the latest information on Indian Budget. Over two generations now it has virtually become an encyclopedia on all financial matters of the Government of India, serving as a textbook for students, teachers and the general public and a reference volume for researchers and others. It is equally useful for competitive examinations conducted by various professional and employment-providing bodies. It covers the UGC syllabus and the syllabi of many Indian universities for honours, postgraduate and professional courses. The discussion in the book grows with a logical and systematic approach.
The book uses all the modern-day tools of pedagogy, like Learning Objectives, Key Terms, Summary, Review Questions and Exercises.
New in this Edition
• Exhaustive revision incorporating the theoretical advancements using latest discussions, debates, data and information.
• The GOI Budget for 2018-19.
• State Government Budgets for 2016-17.
• Constitution and terms of reference of the Fifteenth Finance Commission.
• Detailed coverage of GST and its pervasive impact on Indian economy, including federal financial system.
Table of Content
Part-I: Theory of Public Finance:
1. Economic Activities and the State, 2. Meaning and Scope of Public Finance, 3. Principle of Maximum Advantage, 4. Public Revenue—General Considerations, 5. Division of Tax Burden-I, 6. Division of Tax Burden-II, 7. Incidence of Taxes, 8. Classification and Choice of Taxes, 9. Effect of Taxation, 10. Public Debt, 11. Public Expenditure-General Considerations, 12. Effects of Public Expenditure, 13. Public Budget, 14. Balanced Budget and Fiscal Policy, 15. Federal Finance, 16. Public Undertakings
Part-II: Indian Public Finance:
1. Indian Federal Finance-I, 2. Indian Federal Finance-II, 3. Public Debt in India, 4. Government of India Finances, 5. The Indian Tax System, 6. Railway Finances, 7. Public Sector Undertakings In India, 8. State Finances, 9. Agricultural Taxation in India, 10. Local Finance, 11. Comments on Recent Central Government Budgets (2014-15 to 2018-19)